What are your credentials?
My Masters in Counseling degree (M.Coun), as well as my bachelors degree in Psychology is from Idaho State University (ISU), which is CACREP accredited. I am a Nationally Certified (NCC) and Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) in the state of Idaho.
What are your specialty areas in counseling?
I have over nine years of experience in adult counseling for mental health issues such as
- anxiety counseling
- mood disorders: depression counseling and bipolar disorder counseling
- grief & loss counseling
- life stage issues
- stress management
- divorce, and more.
What are mood disorders?
Mood Disorders are related to depression- or manic symptoms. There are several types of mood disorders:
- Depression symptoms include feeling sadness, guilt, having a sense of hopelessness, or feeling irritable. Often people experiencing depression will isolate themselves. People with depression may also stop doing things they used to enjoy doing; they may say they do not find these activities joyful anymore. Depression can also affect a person's concentration and memory. Eating or sleeping more or less than usual are also possible symptoms of depression.
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a depression cycle that happens during the certain months of the year. Usually it is during the winter months and connected to the reduced daylight hours.
- Dysthymic disorder is a type of depression that has been going on for over two years. The person's symptoms are usually a lower level of depression.
- Bipolar disorder is characterized by the person having cycles of depression and cycles of the opposite extreme - manic episodes. These mood cycles are different for each person. Sometimes a person has a period of relatively normal mood, as well. A manic episode is when the person may report feeling euphoric or unusually happy. But they may also feel extremely irritable or even angry. During a manic episode a person may be sleeping very little and report feeling good after just a few hours of sleep. In fact they may feel very energetic and start many projects and don't finish them. They may report that their thoughts are racing and that they have many ideas. People experiencing a manic episode may engage in risky behaviors such as drug use, gambling, or excessive spending.
What approaches do you use in counseling and consulting?
I am trained in evidence-based Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) and this is my main approach to addressing many issues in counseling. Also, depending on time constraints or the issue you are facing, I may use other approaches, such as Solution Focused methods. Every individual is unique and faces various situations and circumstances. Therefore, the approach is largely tailored to the individual.
What types of counseling?
- Telehealth (secure video sessions)
- Limited in person/ in office (Fridays from 9:30-1:30 only).
- After hours appointments may be requested for private pay clients. There is an additional after hours fee of $50 (not reimbursable by insurance).
What is Telehealth?
Telehealth is counseling via a secure video connection. You can conveniently have counseling sessions from the privacy of your home! For more info, I can provide you with a FAQ sheet about Telehealth. Note: The Backup Communication Method is via phone, as will be discussed and agreed upon during the initial session. I am telehealth certified through Zur Institute (2020).
Do you provide counseling in other languages?
Yes - German
Where are you located?
My office is located at
690 S. Industry Way Ste. 45
Meridian, ID 83642
My counseling office is conveniently located off the Meridian exit. It is also centrally located and easy to get to from Boise, Eagle, Kuna and Nampa. However, for Telehealth video sessions you do not need to come into the office and can do counseling with me from anywhere in Idaho. Please be advised that I use my home office for telehealth appointments, which is also located in Meridian.
I am Agnostic friendly, Atheist friendly, Free-thinker friendly, Skeptic friendly, non-religious friendly, Humanist friendly and I offer secular counseling.
How can I schedule an appointment?
Book online via the request appointment button above
Or call 208 321 5552
In case of emergency call 911 or the Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1(800) 273 8255.
Copyright © 2018 Petra Counseling & Consulting LLC - All Rights Reserved